interior shot of residential architect project

Building regulations application

When you work with Studio J architects, we’ll support you throughout your building regulations application.

T: 0113 2449905

Understanding your project

There’s a lot to understand when it comes to the building regulations process, which we’ll explain in detail below. But for your reassurance, we’ll be here to guide you every step of the way, taking care of it for you:

  • Liaising with structural engineer who will provide all detailed structural calculations where needed.
  • The development of a detailed technical construction design, producing proposed plans and sections required for building regulations purposes
  • Liaising with an approved building inspector, completion of application forms and submitting information for approval

What are building regulations?

So, you’ve instructed an architect and worked-out your planning permission. Now what? The next stage usually involves building regulations; another approval that you are likely to be legally required to obtain for your project.

Here’s our quick guide to UK building regulations.

What are building regulations? Does my project require building regulations approval?

Building regulations set out minimum statutory requirements for design, construction and alterations. These legal rules apply to pretty much every building in the United Kingdom although some projects are exempt. Your architect will confirm whether you require them, but it’s likely that they will apply if you intend to do the following work:

  1. Construct a new building
  2. Extend or alter an existing building
  3. Provide services and or fixtures in a building such as washing and sanitary facilities, work effecting the energy status or performance of a building, rainwater drainage, replacement windows or fuel burning appliances.

Building regulations are different to planning permission, and you might need both for your project.

inset balcony

Who is responsible for ensuring compliance with building regulations?

Whoever is undertaking the building work will usually bear the responsibility for building regulations compliance; that might be you or a builder you employ.

Ultimately, the owner of the building may be served an enforcement notice if any work done falls foul of regulations. This is a legal notice which cannot be ignored and might demand that work is dismantled or corrected.

How do I obtain building regulations approval?

To obtain building regulations approval you can choose to call upon your local authority building control department (LABC) or a private approved inspector.

As your architect, we can coordinate this on your behalf, plus any necessary pre-site approval applications.

retaining wall for Morley Houses

What are building regulations drawings?

Your architect will produce building regulations drawings which are much more detailed than the drawings submitted for planning permission. Expect them to feature construction sections with specifications for things like flooring type, insulation and damp-proof course.

At this stage your architect may also instruct a structural engineer, sourcing necessary quotes and liaising on the building design.

A structural engineer is a uniquely qualified and insured professional who produces an appropriate structural design to suit the architect’s building design.

Before work starts on your site, the architect will collate the building regulations drawings along with the structural engineer’s annotations, calculations and notes. This package is then submitted to the building inspector.

Finally; the building inspector makes routine and statutory inspections as work progresses on your site, to ensure compliance with relevant legislation.

Within eight weeks of the completion of your project – provided the work complies with the minimum standards – the building inspector will provide a certificate as formal evidence of approval.

Building regulation drawings

How much does the building regulations application process cost?

Expect a fee payable to your chosen building inspector for the application and subsequent inspections. There will also be a further cost for the structural engineer.

These costs will vary according to the nature and location of your project but your architect can confirm them at the beginning of the process.

If you’re looking for experienced architects in the Leeds, Wakefield or Yorkshire area to assist you with your design and building regulations application, please contact Studio J Architects.

Contact Us
Residential build showing exterior zinc detail